There a couple of factors to consider when planning your new garage conversion and whether you will require planning permission. However, all garage conversions will require building regulation approval.
Do I need planning permission for a garage conversion?
Your garage conversion may not require planning permission from your local authority if:
- Your garage is not a detached outbuilding.
- The work will be internal.
- You will be replacing the garage door with a window and a wall beneath in its position.
- You will not be extending your garage, with a bay window for example.
- Your home is not sited on designated land (e.g. conservation areas, areas of outstanding natural beauty, etc.) or is not a listed building.
Do I need building regulations approval for a garage conversion?
All garage conversions, where a liveable space is being created, will require building regulations approval from your local authority.